Re: . . . Solutions <read this>

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 21 May 2001 17:28:54 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hugh:

I'm sorry--I wanted to stay out of this--but I have to come down hard on the
side of Dusty on this one.

There is NEVER any excuse for rudeness. NEVER!!!!

You can use words like "terse" all you want but it still does not excuse the
fact that the response was not only tactless--it was arrogant. I am a
seventy year old, rough and boorish old fussbudget, not known for timid or
genteel discourse. But if someone had talked to me in that manner, I would
have been ready to do battle.

We have to all realize that many who ask questions on this list, do so with
embarrassment and timidity. They already know they have a problem and don't
understand what went wrong. So--they start out feeling a little unsure and
maybe a bit incompetent.

The last thing they need is to have someone--ANYONE--tell them they don't
know what their doing. Sure--that reply was technically correct. But it was
a long ways short of tactful. Gosh--even Fuzzy and I, (who are worlds apart
on the best way to validate a page), are at least polite to each other.

Every month--often several every week--I get many, many messages sent to me
directly--because the persons sending them are AFRAID to ask the question on
this list. Especially if the question pertains to a Microsoft product. When
you think about it, this is shameful!!

We need to remember that we have people on this list from all over the
world. To many, English is a second language. And using it may already cause
a lack of self confidence. Let us all be careful how we reply lest we hurt
people.

Come on kids--play nice ...
Best wishes
Ted Temer