Re: Visitors actually reading text?

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:52:34 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lauri:

You have touched on one of those "basic" points of web design that is often
ignored or misunderstood. "Readability"

AP, UPI Reuters and many other news organizations have argued over this for
years. They have all written books called Style Guides--few of which
actually adhered to the "style" advocated in the aforementioned, said book.

The advent of placing text on a computer monitor screen has changed a few of
the "old standards" but many are still as valid as ever.

Rule No.One: If you want your message to be read, make it easy to read.

The most important formatting attributes are now--and always have
been--white space, font size, font type and line length.

FONTS: For years we were told that fonts like Times Roman or Century
Textbook were the best for body type. Some still insist on it but most now
agree that these serif type fonts cause a severe case of the "squints" on
computer screens. Sans serif fonts have now become the standard for web work
simply because they are easier to see.

FONT SIZE: One of the real blessings of HTML and viewing on screen is the
ability of the viewer to adjust the size of the text to match his or her
eyesight. We should be very reluctant to take this ability away from the
viewer in some vain artistic attempt to "format" a fancy looking page. If
they have to squint, you can bet they are going to leave the page.

LINE LENGTH: Another area of argument. Once again, the apparent line length
may change on different monitors due to screen resolution and viewer browser
settings. In the broadest of terms, most would agree that a line length of
fewer than 35 characters is too short, and over 50 characters is too long.

I try--but seldom succeed in making my line length about 39-42 characters in
length when using the browser default size settings. This way,  a browser
setting one step higher or lower keeps the line length within reason.

WHITE SPACE: That all important expanse of surrounding blank page that makes
the text stand out. That is why the great god Murphy--in his infinite
wisdom--created tables and <.blockquote>'s.

I shall close--to no doubt, collective sighs of relief--in mentioning
INTERESTING CONTENT.

If you want them to read every word, you have to peak their interest in some
manner.

EXAMPLE: In the opening line of one of my novels, "Chihuahua"
http://www.temercraft.com/novels/chihu-01.shtml - - I tried my best to do
just that. It reads:
"Well Yes, it�s true. I did look up her dress."

The reader may--or may not--like my work. They may even find it, the worst
written piece of trash on the web. Still--I strongly anticipate that they
WILL read every word of at least the first paragraph.

P.S. BTW Lauri: A three line sentence is obviously evidence of a well
ordered mind, capable of carrying a thought to it's many and varied
conclusions .... And--while such things are a real No-No on radio, it is an
obvious, but sadly, an often misunderstood, compliment to the reader's
abilities.

Best wishes

Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA