Re: Can anyone recommend a reliable hosting service for web pages?

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:14:29 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> How important is it to have a Web Interface to administer a web site?
> The reason I wonder is that I've always considered them a security risk,
> yet every service I see that is boosting their hosting on the Internet
> has some form of a web interface. Is this a gimmick or do people just
> accept the security risks?

The reason these companies are turning to Web interfaces is NOT to make our
lives easier as they like to advertise, but to remove the vast majority of
their support calls which makes good business sense for someone selling a
website for $6.99 or $9.99 a month.  Good technical help costs money and is
hard to find.

The other hosting company style I see often is the technical rep that uses a
book much like some of the big computer companies like Gateway. You call
with a problem, wade through "press 1 if this, press 2 if that"  and you
finally get the support number 15 minutes later.  After waiting online for
what seems to be forever you hear them leafing through a book or typing into
a terminal to get the answer.  Many companies are not willing to train or
pay for REAL technical help but they did advertise they had a support staff.
The bigger a hosting company is, the harder it to get a knowledgeable person
on the phone.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net