Re: Morality and Pirated Software

by "Matthew Ohlman" <matthew(at)ohlman.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:56:14 -0500
 To:  "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>,
<scook(at)equibase.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
<webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>>No, but you're missing the point. The value in the cookbook that was sold
was not in a single recipe, it was in the collection.  If you copied more
than a few recipies, or say, the whole book, then it is immoral, wrong and
illegal. You're not just sending a couple of lines of code, you're sending
the whole thing to someone else.<<

So? It was said that you are stealing from the person who wrote the code!!
If you steal three lines of code, you have stole from the writer. It dosen't
matter if you steal one piece of gum from a pack or the whole thing, its
stealing.

>Now that's just ridiculous.  It is not immoral to be strong enough in your
>convictions to say that your belief is the correct one.  Everyone feels
they
>have to be so politically correct that they don't want to say they're not
>going to be swayed by the prevailing morals of the time (or lack thereof).
>Now there may not be a 'great book of morals' but I don't know of any
>religion or civilization that says that stealing is not immoral.

I NEVER said that you shouldn't stand up for your for what you believe in. I
said don't be so negative in saying that everyone else is wrong. Take other
peoples thoughts into consideration. Of course, its human nature to
disagree, but don't just say this is how it is because this is what I say
and I'm always right.