Re: Linking to a directory on my hard drive

by "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:24:47 +0530
 To:  "Basics [HWG]" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The funda is rather simple. Let's assume that you have this tree

root
- main
--- sub
----- sub2
--- s01

Now, if I am currently in sub2, the sub directory is "../" from me and
the main directory is "../../" from me. Similarly, the s01 directory
is "../../s01/" from me.

That is, each "../" will take you one directory *higher* in the
directory hierarchy.

What is going wrong:
   Taking help of the above structure, evidently you are in sub2 and
   want to take something from s01. So, when you issue the link call
   to "/main/s01/blah.html", the browser, upon seeing that there are
   no "../" there will simply put in *front* of current directory.

   That is, if we are in
      /main/sub/sub2
   the browser will assume the link to be
      /main/sub/sub2/main/s01/blah.html
   which obviously does not exist.

Solution:
   As explained, just put a "../" for every level of directory
   hierarchy that you want to go "up" and then continue

   That is, the call in our case would be to
     "../../s01/main.html"

:)

[abhay]