Re: Could do with some help!

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:30:59 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
David:

FrontPage Express comes free as part of Internet Explorer 4, (and
5 as well, I think). If you have downloaded IE-4, you probably
already have it on your hard drive. Because of the icons on the
taskbar we never use it but on a Windows machine, you should find
it sitting there all lonely and waiting at:

Start > Programs > Internet Explorer > FrontPage Express

Or -- Download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ or as Steve mentioned, at:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
It's also available at several other sources like:

http://www.shareware.com/

It is nowhere near as nice or comprehensive as the full program
but still, it is quite handy for use with it's limited features.
Many actually do use it to create their webs as it does all the
"basic" layout work. In this way they are way ahead of writing
the whole thing by hand. (Oh yes--the Cut and Paste works great.)

Steve pointed out that it displayed a page somewhat different
than a web browser. So does the full FrontPage and most of the
other WYSIWYG editors. In all their help manuals they stress the
need to check your work in a browser. The full FrontPage does
have a "Preview" option that the limited Express version does
not. You have to preview it in a browser. (Just like you would
have to do with any text editor.)

And finally, I just saw your second post as I was about to send
this. I wish I could see what you guys are talking about, ("made
a mess of it"). I just tried loading some of my pages into the
little Express version and I can't see any real difference
between the way they look in the Full FrontPage. (True, it looks
different in a browser.) I saved the page under a different name
and the browser, (IE-4) displayed it exactly the same as the
original.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
http://www.temercraft.com
http://www.newsredding.com/

>I agree. If you're after something as cheap as Notepad (i.e.
free), then I