Re: WingDings in the navigation links

by "Kim Mitchell" <kim(at)who-knows.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:08:10 -0400
 To:  <bryan.westbrook(at)amd.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

In this case the designer only specified

BODY { font-family: serif; }

in the style sheet, which would not have cause this problem unless a browser
used wing-dings as its default 'serif' font.

Give the guy a break.  If you look at the source code, you see there's
nothing unusual in it.  Personally, I've never heard of a browser defaulting
to wing-dings,  but since he said the people with the problem all worked for
the same city (and presumably all had the same IT support) I would tend to
believe that there was a browser-related problem, since the wing-dings font
was -never- mentioned on the page.

If this was my problem,  I would:
 - first, have a discussion with the people having the problem as to the
set-up of the browser they are using (and which browser, specifically, it
is)
- second, change the style sheet to list a couple of fonts which are
typically loaded on the operating systems my customers are using before
defaulting to a 'font-family:serif' designation.

No, I've naver heard of a browser behaving this way,  but it does seem that
a lot of web work consists of tweaking html and css for things that
shouldn't have to be tweaked for just to accomodate the variations out
there.  I want to reach people so I do it.

Best regards,
Kim Mitchell