Re: MacIntosh to PC graphic conversion

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 17 May 2000 16:18:31 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sandy:

A .jpg graphic is a .jpg graphic and it does not matter what software on
what operating system created it. Therefore, in theory at least, it is
already in "PC" format.

Often the problem is simply one of reading it.

Mac's allow most files to be saved with--or without an extension.
Example: a graphic called "my picture" could be saved as:

My Picture.jpg
My Picture
mypicture

Assuming you can "see" the file with the PC. That is to say, you have
received it either as HTML E-mail, an e-mail attachment --or-- on floppy,
Zip or Jazz drive, etc. formatted for PC and it can be clicked on, located
as an attachment, or in a directory, it should be no problem.

[ If the floppy is in Mac format, there are any number of programs that
allow you to read Mac disks on a PC. Once past this hurdle, it gets a lot
easier. ]

Note however, that you may have to set your Open File dialog screen to look
for "All Files".

Then--Depending on the software, you may have to tell the conversion filter
used by that software, exactly what kind of file it is. Some programs use
the standard Windows conversion drivers and if so, Windows needs to be told
which one to use. Windows 95-98 is pretty good at this but some of the
software we run in it may not be so cooperative.

Often getting software to select what it needs is easily done by simply
selecting the file in Windows Explorer and clicking on Rename. Then just add
the .jpg on the name of the file. This will usually satisfy those
aforementioned conversion filters.

Note that you may have to copy and paste the file if it is on a CD or any
other device that is write protected. Just copy it to a Temp file somewhere
and rename it. Then you can have your way with it.

This will usually work with GIF and JPG files but watch out for TIFF and EPS
files. They both can contain information that not all programs will
recognize. This is not so much an operating system problem as it is the many
and varied kinds of TIFF and EPS files. (TIFF files have many different
types of compression and EPS files may contain almost anything, including
TIFF files as "placeholders".)

But again, a Mac JPEG is the same as a PC JPEG unless some piece of software
has done something naughty to it.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA