Re: Netscape 6 bashing

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:34:01 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Raj:

I am not absolutely positive about this, be it seems to me that most of
those telling horror stories about Netscape 6 are running IE-4+ browsers and
using them to enable their whole computer's file system to act as a "web"
This allows many neat?? things such as Web View in all the windows Explorer
files, single click instead of double clicking everything--this feature is
especially nice for those of us using an art tablet--being able to place
"links" from one application to another--and the list goes on and on ...

Several have reported in any number of different articles, sprinkled around
the Net that NN-6 has messed up the basic setup of their computer. One
buddy, for example, lost the thumbnail pictures in all his Windows Explorer
files and was never able to get them back. Before the Netscape installation,
he had nice thumbnails of all his GIF's, JPG's, TIFF's, etc. and his HTML
files.

Afterwards, the View as Web Page is grayed out and he tried EVERYTHING
suggested by dozens on a MS Help Forum. Finally he uninstalled Netscape 6
and re-installed IE-5. At last, everything works again and you could not get
this guy to reinstall ANY Netscape if you put a gun to his head. This is
just one example.

BTW -- My Netscape 4.7 seems to co-exist with IE-5.5 quite nicely.
I am running a Pent. II with Windows 98 SE.

At this time, I have NO plans to try to install NN-6.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net