Re: FP Include

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:06:02 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Shaun:

Gee--I wish I had the time--And the Money.

Sorry, I'm just a little guy with a home office and Social
Security budget. My "office" sometimes has three computers hooked
together, and sometimes, like today, there is just one. My
college girl has one with her on vacation and Tri Media has
theirs pulled back to their office for a big project.

We do get to "play" with some of the good stuff from time to time
doing consulting work on a modest basis.

FrontPage works well for us cause it is just so dog-gone EASY to
work with. The college kids on work experience don't have to
spend days learning the program. It's just like the other MS
Office 97 programs and the fact that they can jump back and forth
between a WYSIWYG view and an HTML view sure helps them pick up
basic HTML quickly.

We also save a lot of time using CoffeeCup's Style Sheet Maker.

The real time savings come with the ability to Copy and Paste,
being able to "see" table structure, and of course the really big
one. FrontPage, (or any other editor that creates code), does NOT
make typos. That's important for us half blind types.

The biggest weakness in FP, (or any other automatic editor) ???

They do what they are told. !!!

Yes, that can be a weakness.
Example:
If you try to position a word or object using the space bar, FP
will obediently add all those spaces in the code. Of course,
Netscape will ignore them and the purist will make snide remarks
about the "bad code" generated by FP.

We understand most other editors will try their best to be just
as accommodating.

Bottom line to all this rambling. Whether you drive a Five on the
floor or a fully automatic--you still need to know how to drive.

Never used Drumbeat but the guy that helps us with ASP says it
cut his coding time by at least 90%. I have no reason to doubt
him. And I suspect the same could be said for almost ANY of the
newer automatic type editors.

Best Wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA