Re: Wrapping text around a picture

by "Bert" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:15:13 +0800
 To:  "Gozer The Destructor" <flouric(at)mac.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi

> I'm trying to use absolute positioning to place a picture on a page.  My
> problem is how to get the text on the page to wrap around the picture.

Simple answer: don't use absolute positioning.  Float the image instead (in
CSS) or align it to the left or right (in HTML4 Transitional).  Using
absolute positioning for any element removes it from the normal flow of the
document - no gaps are left behind.  Effectively it moves the element into a
higher "plane" (or layer).

See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#absolute-positioning
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-align-IMG

You could of course position EVERYTHING absolutely.  Would be skating on
very thin ice though. While with that method you might get it to work on
your system , with your browser at your resolution and a particular window
size and font size, it won't look the same to many others.

I may be mistaken - there may be a solution that I am not aware of...  .
--
Bert Doorn, Web Developer
CIW Associate, IWA Member