Re: Best In Site Search Engine

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:14:22 -0400
 To:  <janet.lynne(at)worldnet.att.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Janet,

Does it need to be hosted by you guys, or would you be comfortable
outsourcing this.  If so, I'd try www.atomz.com .  Because our site is
hosted on an AS/400 running Lotus Domino and the search engine IBM wrote for
the 400 is woefully inadequate, I decided to let them handle it.  They're a
free service (they place a small "powered by Atomz.com" graphic at the top
of your search results, pretty unobtrusive), and unlike the other free
services I've seen, you can write your own results page and place the
results wherever you want them to go.  They index your site once a week on a
schedule, but you can force an index any time you like.  You can control the
scoring of your pages, they index PDF's, and they provide reports on the top
words and terms searched for in the last day, week and month.  I'd like to
see everything my users are searching for, but you can't have everything,
can you?

Anyway, I have no affiliation with them; they just provide a very nice
service for free and I'd like to see them stay in business (at least until I
can get my hands on better search engine software for my 400).

HTH -

Mike Eovino
Webmaster
Estes Express Lines