Re: screen resolution

by "The Web Center" <admin(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:05:11 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi, Stephen...

You'll get quite a few answers on this one.  Some of the most common
recurring opinions I have noted:

1) Know your audience.  If 2% of your visitors are using 640x, then you
might want to consider designing for the most common viewer

2) Despite your audience ratios, a responsible designer will make sure ALL
audiences are catered to

3) You can design one page that works in all resolutions...other do
it...just don't use the designs that require set sizes exceeding the
smallest common denominator

4) Look at Yahoo...they design for everyone

5) Don't look at Yahoo, it's a specialty site

6) It depends on the type of site...home pages are less demanding than
commercial sites.

The list goes on, but the basics should be obvious.  It depends on what you,
your client, and your audience needs.  Many design techniques/layouts
require something wider than 640.  I try to avoid horizontal scrolling
myself, but will allow it if it's required to keep my client happy.  On the
whole, though, this is really turning into a much larger issue with the
arrival of WebTV and the handheld/cell explosion.  Bottom line is that we're
limited by the technology, and I for one make the call on a case-by-case
basis without any strict rules.

Darrell