Re: don't take my graphics! (WAS Re: hiding Html from Viewers)

by "Steve Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:26:50 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
(snip)
> As pertaining to copyright, there is something that could be used without
> much cost to the creator's advantage. So long as the original image is
> intact, the date created would be in the file properties, and of course,
the
> original would be created before the thief's copy, thus confirming that
the
> image file was indeed not made by the person who claimed to make it.  The
> same method could be used for written works.
.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Rich, but original file dates can be
overwritten. Almost immediately I thought about FTP. The first time they FTP
the stolen image up to their hosting service, the original creation date can
be overwritten. They could then FTP the original back down to their computer
with the computers clock turned back and wala! The file will now show an
original date earlier than the original. And this is just one way, I'm sure
there is an easier one as there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

There have been two distinct points to this discussion that have sometimes
been confused with each other:
1. Trying to protect images from being stolen
2. How to prove if your images have been stolen

First point- I know there are some of you out there that are having a hard
time believing this but, there is NO WAY to protect your images from being
copied. You can make it more difficult, but ultimately there is NO WAY!

Second point- If your images are that important, then you may want to look
into actually having your work filed with the United States copyright
office. And keep all sketches, drawings, or what have you to help prove its
origins. It's not enough to just put a copyright symbol on your image if
your work is not actually on file, anyone can do that.

For those of you  have been following this particular discussion, I agree
with what a fellow member has already said, "The horse has been whipped,
beaten and bleeding.  It died and is now a rotting carcass."

Steve
santonio(at)delanet.com