Re: Site Defacement

by "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:04:02 -0400
 To:  "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> It's not my site, but one I maintain for a very competitive equestrian
> facility, managing beautiful & very high valued show horses...
>
> At any rate, why would a jpg be scrambled? What would cause this?

It probably is not a defacement, but good old fashioned file corruption.
The host company might have had some type of problem.  The few times I ran
into problems like this or new files that dissapeared overnight, it was a
host problem.  Often they shift things from one computer to another or have
other problems they don't tell you about and then they restore things from
backup.  Sometimes a file just gets corrupted.

My experience with this type of thing is usually that the host company will
only admit it when an experienced techy type squeezes the truth out of them.
Hosts don't want to admit they have security holes, equipment problems or
less backup power or even fewer pipelines to the internet than their
competators. If you added all the host companies on the Internet that said
they had multiple OC-3 connections up, you would find the Internet was 1000
times bigger than it actually is.

Paul Wilson
webgooru(at)gte.net