Re: prn _file

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:08:10 -0400
 To:  "hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Windsong <chester(at)worldchat.com>
>Can anyone tell me how to open a 'prn' file.
>I believe it is a text file-- for a clients webpage ;-\
>I have tried word pad, note pad etc, etc, etc.

It appears that file was saved as "print to file" resulting in the .prn
file extension. You can't open a .prn file, for this is a print file
format. You can print it, but not open it.

By printing to a file, the file on disk is in a format suitable for
printing, but not suitable for manipulation or editing.  When attempting
to open it, the file will appear as "garbage" because it's a binary
file, not a file format most word processors can manage.  You can print
the file, you can send it via modem to someone else, or you can hand the
file on disk to another individual -- that's about the extent of your
options.  When the "print to file" option is used, the file is sent
(printed) to disk in exactly the same format as it would have been
transmitted over the wire to the printer, with all the special
characters,
formatting and bells and whistles that the printer would have received.
In other words, a .PRN file is a file that is intended for a printer -
it just made an intermediate stop on a disk.

As mentioned above, you can't "open" the file, but you can print it. Use
the COPY command in DOS: COPY (file name).PRN LPT1 /B.  The
"slash B" switch is necessary to tell DOS that the file is a binary
file, if not,  some codes being sent to the printer could be interpreted
by DOS as end-of-file markers and stop the print process before it's
complete.

What happens if you don't have a printer that's compatible with the
printer chosen when the file was printed to the disk?  More garbage.
About the only way around this issue is to have the person saving the
file select a
printer that is compatible with yours or have them select a generic or
text only printer, before they "print to file."  The best option for you
and the source would be to "save" the file to a disk, not "print" the
file to disk; you could then open the file into your word processor and
edit or print from there.

--
Cindy K. Stanley