Re: upper or lower case html (was: question)

by "Cindy Stanley, SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:34:50 -0400
 To:  "Tondi Jeter" <tondij(at)caprock-spur.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Tondi Jeter <tondij(at)caprock-spur.com>
>In the HTML class I am teaching (& learning) would it be best to teach my
>students to use upper case letters <HTML> or lower case <html> on their
>tags?

If you want to begin preparation for using and viewing XML
(extensible markup language) <http://www.xml.com/pub/98/10/guide0.html>,
XHTML (extensible hypertext markup language)
<http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/XHTML/>, and other
emerging languages, then be wise and follow these basic rules:

1. Create well-formed documents (no sloppy coding, no illegal nesting
of tags, symmetrical forming of beginning and ending tags)
2. Element and attribute names must be in lowercase
3. All attributes must be quoted
4. End tags are required in non-empty elements (close any elements
that contain data: ie, </p>)

--
Cindy K. Stanley, SSS
Stanley Support Service