Re: JavaScript nonsense

by Jim Tom Polk <jtpolk(at)texas.net>

 Date:  16 Dec 2001 23:23:17 -0600
 To:  Paul Wilson <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>
 Cc:  "hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I cannot comment on the veracity of the JavaScript versions (1.2 vs
1.1).

The numbers for "false" seem to fit what I have been able to measure.

One methodology is to gather the information from the loading of a
graphic. Attached to that graphic is a string that ONLY occurs when
there is JavaScript enabled in the browser.

For instance, you could have JavaScript spit out something like this:

<.img src="test.gif?js=1">

Browser will still bring the the image up. But then, you are able to
extract that information from the access log. I don't know how they
specifically do it, but it is simple.

Ok, if the browser does not have JavaScript emabled, simply have the
image appear like this:

<.script>
...etc, etc.
</script>
<.noscript>
<.img src="test.gif">
</noscript>

I cannot get into how the do the determination between JavaScript
versions, but I would state that since the determination of a state of
NOT having JavaScript enabled, or false, is almost completely reliable,
that I would trust those numbers.

--

Jim Tom Polk -:- jtpolk(at)texas.net -:- http://camalott.com/~jtpolk/
	''You might as well fall flat on your face as