Re: Anchor tags: what is the standard?

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:48:44 -0800 (PST)
 To:  HWG Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks, guys, but neither of those solve the problem. If I want to
hand-code something inside the anchor tags, I can move the text into
the anchor tags. I can even do that automatically, after my pages are
done, using regular expressions in Alpha or even in GoLive.

The problem is that the second I touch (or was it slightly alter?) ANY
anchor WYSIWYG tool in GoLive 4, all of the anchor tag pairs get
altered back to having nothing inside them! That includes any
containing non-breaking spaces, periods, or images.

The real question is, what is the w3c-defined standard. I can't make
heads or tails of the w3c docs. I just want to know how much of this to
lay at GoLive's feet. I want to know if this is a Netscape 6 bug-up or
a display of adhesion to the true and holy Standard. But mostly I just
wanna know.

Of course, any GoLive gods who know how to force GoLive to stop doing
this (perhaps through the Dictionary thing?), please speak up!

complex

p.s. Periods might be smaller than non-breaking spaces, but both would
take up space, offsetting my text, and both would grow when the user
increased the font size. If that matters. Single-pixel images (which
should have a short name of their own) would take download time, but
would take up the least space and wouldn't grow.

How about non-breaking spaces with a CSS-defined font size of 1 px? Is
there a minimum on font size?  ;-)

--- Darrell King <darrell(at)webctr.com> wrote:
> why not &nbsp;...?

     <snip>

> A dot (.) colored as close as humanly possible (using Hex) so as
> to match the background
          <snip>

> Stick it inside that anchor tag!
>
> Creative coding the old fashioned way !
> HTH,
> Fuzzy.
>

> At 10:56 AM 2/14/01 -0800, Complex wrote:
>
> >That said, my question (finally) is: Is there a W3C-stated
> standard for
> >how anchor tags should be set up? Are the tags *supposed* to
> contain
> >text, or is it purely optional? Is Netscape 6 just quirky in this
> >instance, or is it rigidly sticking to a standard? (Please, back
> up any
> >assertions with references.*) Regardless, I would like to find a
> way to
> >put text into those anchor tags.

=====
Michael Greisman