Re: Very Basic Question

by Duif Calvin <duif(at)jaderiver.com>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:01:51 -0400
 To:  Mac Fenwick <macfenwick(at)home.com>,
"hwg-basics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<DIV> just stands for "Division"--it means a section within the code which
you have grouped because of some common properties.

Prior to stylesheets, for example, you could use
<DIV align=center>
<P>...</P>
<P>...</P>
<P>...</P>
</DIV>

to center align several paragraphs at once.

This is particularly useful for dynamically-generated pages, where you know
you have a "section," but you don't know its exact contents ahead of time.

Although now with stylesheets the "align" attribute of DIV is deprecated,
DIV is still useful when combined with ID or CLASS. However, these are less
intuitive examples unless you're very familiar with CSS.

For a very good example of DIV used with class and stylesheets, see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/attrs.html#class

Regards,
Duif

At 07:17 AM 9/8/99 -0400, Mac Fenwick wrote:
>Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the <DIV> tag? Not the
>logic that drove it's creation in the first place, but the logic that it
>follows within the HTML code.
>
>I can see how it is probably better than <CENTER> etc, but I seem to be
>having troubles with it.
>
>Mac Fenwick

jaderiver(at)jaderiver.com                    770-989-7407
Are you getting the right message to the right audience?
Our consulting services can make any Website more effective.
http://www.jaderiver.com/      All Services 100% Guaranteed