Re: Homesite 4.0

 Date:  Sat, 02 Sep 2000 10:18:14 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have to agree with Jeff here . . . for the most part ;-) (get up off the
floor Jeff).

When I need a fast page or, to look at a particularly complex page's code,
I use Homesite as well - - - - version 2.5. Because this software is so old
it can no longer be purchased, I'll skip the disclaimers . . .

Here's why:

1) It inserts _nothing_ by its self.
2) Every single piece of code it *can* install is completely configurable
(and it remembers the code you teach it - which is really cool). I even
have several "custom" DTD's configured!
3) I'll try and explain this quickly - I hope it works -  You can custom
create "tag sets". Meaning I have created a _complete_ standards compliant
set of tags/attributes for 2.0, 3.2, 4.0 (strict) and by simply clicking on
the right button when I start a document, _all_ the tags it will install in
a document are the ones you have defined as belonging to that "preference
set".
4) Probably the most useful feature to me . . . . It colors tags/attributes
in the document (yes, you define the colors). Get nested tables three deep
and this feature alone is worth the CPU's weight in gold!!

Oh, on a parting note . . . this version came with NO browser for viewing
pre-defined. I have it configured to give me a choice of browsers when I
click on the "preview" tab. Which, I might add . . . I almost never use
because if you use standards compliant code - it don't matter - which
browser looks at it (sorry I couldn't resist).

Fuzzy