Re: The Return of the Form Question

 Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:03:01 -0400
 To:  "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ted,

*just* what I was counting on! Thanks, we work ~ so ~ well together.

Now, for the rest of the folks:

If you will take the time to research _any_ ratified version of the HTML
you will find quite near the top of the spec. that a *required* element is
a DTD statement, on the very first line in the file.

For the sake of (my) being anal, that means: ALL HTML documents ~~require~~
a DTD statement.

That gang, is not an opinion.

Now, do not doubt for a second that what Ted said is true (I assure you I
don't!), the page displays just fine on *his* browser, using later
(latest?) versions of the big two and an emulator for WebTV. *No one* is
saying the document WILL NOT display or function.

What I am saying is that it is not predictable or _reliable_ until this
(required) element is present. It's just like running your car with 2 of
the required 5 lug nuts. Sure the wheel is not laying horizontal, sure you
can probably drive around on it just fine . . .for a while. But would you
put your family in it and drive cross country? NO you say? Well . . . why
not? It ran around YOUR yard just fine, heck, just to make "sure" you even
drove around your neighbors yard!

See my point? Obviously this is not a safety issue, but I *suspect* it IS a
"job security" issue for the coder in a whole bunch of cases.

Thus, take the time and trouble and stick the rest of the lug nuts on the
wheel, it will greatly enhance your personal sense of (job) security . . .
if nothing else. :-)

HTH,
Fuzzy.