RE: Text line length - Was: [Seen this lately?]

 Date:  Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:00:09 -0500
 To:  Lead <lead(at)sunshineband.org>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:43 AM 1/27/01 -0600, Jeniffer wrote:
>As for Comic Sans, the mere sight of it sets my teeth on edge, and it's one
>of the quickest ways to get me to ignore or leave a website (right up there
>huge images who's size isn't defined in the page, and just below sound that
>launches on load and those stupid fireworks javascript things). This font
>is, IMO, a dead giveaway that the person who authored the page doesn't know
>what they're doing, and always leaves me with a vague impression about the
>TYPE of personality who created the site (something I know is silly to do,
>but I just can't avoid it).

Never being one to avoid controversy . . .

I have started using, and like, Comic Sands because of the readability. I
started because another developer used (it that I know), and ~several~
people actually commented on "that font being easy to read".

Now, I'll admit that using the FACE attribute pushes me into DTD's that I
don't particularly care to use . . . but when readability is a concern for
the (site) owner, I'll go to that as my first weapon of choice as I usually
tend to turn out pretty (esthetically) simple pages in the first place (by
that I mean I avoid clutter and *try* to leave as much white space as
possible).

So, I'm curious. I won't go into how long I have been writing code - you
all know I'm not a neophyte - and I really *thought* I was up on what is
"good" and what is "bad" on web pages.

Now I read that the use of Comic Sands not only shows my ineptitude as a
developer - but indicates a character flaw.

Heck Jeniffer, I'm not mad (I know darned good and well I have a flaw or
two!), but I am curious about why/how you formulated your opinion.

Would you please elaborate?

FWIW, I'm not the delicate type. Please do not hesitate to be honest and
open - I can take it. I *really* think a lot of us could potentially
benefit from your prospective on this.

TIA,
Fuzzy