Re: Referral tracking

by Sandy Fields <sandy(at)sannicron.com>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:41:42 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:37 PM 12/29/1999 -0500, Gwen wrote:
>We all want to track how many visitors to our site use the link
>(on their site or in their email) to navigate to our site. Is there some
>"magic html" that I can put in the link to do this, or do we have to
>establish an affiliate program administered through another company such
>as Commission Junction? Any html tricks or recommendations for
>establishing an affiliate program are greatly appreciated.

I don't know about html tricks, but most of the free counter services
provide this sort of tracking.  You can get a counter (visible or
invisible) that will track the domains that your visitors are coming from
and will tell how many visitors are coming from each domain.  It gives lots
of other information too, like what types of browsers people are using,
whether they are java-capable, etc.  I use http://www.thecounter.com, but
many others provide the same services.

Sandy Fields
Sannicron Web Design