Re: Visible Transparent Gif?

by Sandy Fields <sandy(at)sannicron.com>

 Date:  Mon, 03 Jan 2000 18:52:20 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:12 PM 01/03/00 -0500, Joe wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am perplexed by a non-transparent transparent gif. At the bottom of the
>page at the following link I have a strip of what is supposed to be
>transparent gifs but they're visible. If someone can tell me why I can see
>(what's supposed to be) invisible graphics, I would truly appreciate it.
>
>http://paceco.hypermart.net/theNewEB/Spring2000/millen-issue.html

I'm not expert, but I know that a "transparent" gif is not necessarily an
"invisible" gif.  And actually I've never heard of an invisible gif.

In my working with gifs, transparent gifs are used when you want the image
background to be invisible, so that -- for example -- if you have a red
ball in the middle of a black background and you want to put this picture
on a page with a green background, then you make it a transparent gif,
making the black background transparent.  Then all the viewer would see is
the red ball on the green background.

Sandy Fields
Sannicron Web Design
http://www.sannicron.com