Re: Cave in

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:20:13 +0930
 To:  Keith(at)webgraffix.com
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I agree...and I thoroughly enjoyed the story too :)

Kym

At 10:48 AM 07/11/2000 , Keith D Sellars wrote:
>Fuzzy,
>
>I applaud your efforts.  Although I haven't achieved the level of HTML
>knowledge
>that you have, I have learned enough over the past 3 years to build a
>successful
>business.  As with everything I've ever done, I am always trying to raise my
>level
>of performance and improve.  I do not profess to know all of the answers
by any
>stretch of the imagination.  Self-confidence, if well-founded, has never
>offended
>it.  Anyone that has put the time and effort into learning earns my respect.
>
>It is with input and feedback such as yours, Harold's, and others, that I have
>benefitted greatly from being a part of this list.
>
>Thanks to all those that can offer AND accept constructive criticism.
>
>Keith D Sellars
>WebGraffix
>www.webgraffix.com
>
>"Captain F.M. O'Lary" wrote:
>
>> Let me share a short story please.
>>
>> Once upon a time there was this guy. He decided he wanted to be a web
>> developer because it looked like a cool thing to do and it definitely
>> looked better than a real job (he was a commercial diver and boat captain
>> by trade). Even though his first exposure to source code resulted in a
>> reaction of: What was *is* this stuff . . . Martian?
>>
>> Anyway, not to be put off, he was walking along the isles of a local book
>> store one day and ran across a book called "HTML for Netscape". VIOLA ! The
>> holy grail. He had heard about these new browsers that showed pictures, and
>> it seemed like Netscape was the one he had heard the most about (sure he
>> knew there was atleast one other graphical browser out there - Mosaic).
>>
>> He bought the book and loaded the browser from the included CD-ROM (VERY
>> hi-tech at the time!). WOW. there really were pictures out there !!!!!!
>>
>> He was hooked.
>>
>> He read that book until the pages started falling out. Not only could he
>> recite code strings orally, but he could tell you what page and what
>> chapter it could be found on in that book.
>>
>> When he was confident he knew all there was to know about HTML, he started
>> soliciting customers. Oh, he got his butt kicked financially. He solicited
>> many many sites completely free of charge to build his portfolio. He did
>> really enjoy writing the code, but at that point the pay really stunk.
>>
>> In an effort to "make things easier" he bought a ' canned ' editor. It was
>> called "Hot Dog Pro". Man, was that cool. No more switching back and forth
>> from text editor to browser, no more typing and typing, just drag and drop
>> (more or less).
>>
>> Things went ok for a month or two. Then the phone started ringing. Holy
>> COW. People he built sites ~for free~ for, were calling to bitch about
>> "this" or "that" not working. Being supremely confident in his knowledge
> [...]

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
*NEW*...Be sure to visit the "Samples Gallery"...*NEW*
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit my garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html