Re: intro and questions<Golden Rule!>

 Date:  Sat, 13 Oct 2001 17:22:49 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:07 PM 10/13/01 , Larry Coats wrote:
>For several years, I was a TA for some HTML and JavaScript classes at
>ZDU and SmartPlanet. I was a TA for about 30-40 HTML classes of
>different levels. Since a large part of my role was viewing the
>students' sites and critiquing their code, I learned a lot about what
>does and doesn't work in various browsers - primarily IE 3, 4 and 5.0
>and Netscape 3 and 4. I don't worry much about the version 3 browsers
>anymore, but when I started at ZDU, those were the current browsers.
[ . . .]

Which does an excellent job of illustrating what I (personally) feel is the
**Golden Rule** in this  . . . business:

"Know thy Audience - and write for ~them~."

Time and time and time again on this list this point has been driven home
like the proverbial stake through the heart. It *doesn't matter* what you
(the coder) wants. What matters, is what version of the HTML best meets the
target demographics you are trying to reach.

Even an old time cronnie like me writes *way* different for a "public
information" site than I do when writing a site for a gamer or multi-media
(based) client - speaking in terms of the version of the HTML used. They
***ALL*** must validate regardless of the version used.

HTH,
Fuzzy