Re: Multiple HEAD, BODY & HTML tags?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:34:40 +1100
 To:  bushman(at)goodnet.com,
"hwg-basics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 22:17 30/10/99 -0700, Rob Bushman wrote:
>I was just rummaging around at http://www.dtpjournal.com/ and came
>across something I hadn't seen before. Looking at the source code for
>http://www.dtpjournal.com/designresources.html I noticed that this
>document had extra <HEAD>, <BODY>, and <HTML> tags. Was this on purpose?
>If so, what could be the reason? If it was accidental, what kind of
>problems could it cause if any?

Interesting - with anything less than NN2 you get:

"404 Error Not Found
The requested URL /designresources.html was not found on this server."

Basically its poor coding - the results are unpredictable displaying of
page data on various browser/platform combinations.  It's certainly not
something you should try to emulate.

My guess is someone has "cut&pasted" from a WYSIWYG browser into a standard
(required?) template.  This happens when you require non-HTML-literate
people to do HTML-related tasks.  This isn't meant as a "snobbish" remark -
merely experience talking!

(And if you are reading Kirsten, this no longer applies to you - you've
come a LONG way since then :)

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Firefighter, Werribee Fire Brigade, CFA