Re: validation

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Apr 2000 15:21:41 +1000
 To:  Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Michael,

At 18:47 7/04/00 -0500, Michael Jon Muehlendorf wrote:
>I have been working to uderstand and implement validation.  I just ran a
>page through the w3c.org validator, and was suprized that I had so few
>errors.  But I'm stumped.  The validator says my "marginheight",
>"marginwidth", "topmargin", and "leftmargin" are not allowed.  Also, it
>points to sever <p> tags as missing attirbutes.  These <p> tags are inside
>table cells, and I don't get it.  Also, it points to some <Hn> tags as not
>being allowed.  Could one of you "HTML 4.01 loose" gurus run it through and
>see if you can point me in the right direction?  Here's the URL:

Quite often fixing one error solves a multitude of others!  Because of this
you have to approach the errors dealing with the first one first.

Line 12, column 27:
   <SCRIPT language=JavaScript>

This is simple, simply make it:
   <SCRIPT language="JavaScript" type'="text/javascript">

Many of your problems involve not quoting the attribute values:

Line 138, column 12:
   <BODY aLink=#ff0000

Should be:
   <BODY aLink="ff0000"

Notice the quotation marks???

When you get to marginheight", "marginwidth", "topmargin", and "leftmargin
which you know are OK but just not supported by the validator, try removing
them temporarily to ensure the rest of the page is OK.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au