Re: color in netscape vs. IE

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:18:37 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:09 AM 6/1/00 , Sandy Fields tickled the electrons and they aligned
themselves to form these words:

>At 08:34 AM 06/01/00, Thomas Carreno wrote:
>
>>I made 4 gif images which fit in each corner of the orange square you see
>>there. In IE the orange color of the background and the orange color of the
>>gif looks exactly the same. But in Netscape the color of the gif is slightly
>>different than the color of the background?!
>
>Funny you should mention this.  I'm having a similar problem.  I created
>an image in PSP.  White background with orange text.  I used 255,102,0 to
>set my color.  Then I used the same numbers to set the color in the html
>file, and the colors are very obviously different.  The text in the image
>is darker.

Okay, you created this image with 16 million colors, right? And then you
eliminated all but 256 (or less) to create the gif file.

Unless the color you picked originally is part of the 256 color palette of
the gif format, the colors are going to shift.

I'll bet if you open the gif in PSP and use the color picker to select the
orange color you'll find that the color is different than what you started
with.

To fix this you either have to start with a 256 color palette, or go back
and determine what the colors shift to and make the corresponding changes
in your html.

hth

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com