Re: My turn to ask silly questions

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:36:13 -0600
 To:  "IceWolf" <icewolf(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
"html list" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ice,

I can handle these two --

At 11:20 AM 11/30/00 -0500, IceWolf wrote:
>Another question: why are jpgs better than bmps or gifs?

jpgs are better for photographic images on the web because of the way they
handle color. If you have a clip art type of image, then gifs are better.

Jpgs are nice since they also allow for compression (if you look in your
image editor, you should see something that allows you to set the
compression percentages) which makes for a smaller image file and faster
download.

Bmps are huge files and take forever and a millenium to download (o.k., a
bit of an exaggeration, but it does take a very long time).

When I do images for the web from an original image and/or photo, I scan
and save as a bmp (I know there are also other high quality formats, but
that's what I'm used to using) and then throw the bmp on a floppy disk. I
then save the image again as a jpg. After a while, jpgs will lose their
quality and that's when I dig out the original bmp on a floppy. It doesn't
happen very often, but for image quality, this has worked for me.

>Yet another question: is it better to resize an image with a graphics
>program, or change the size with the HTML code?

Again, for the sake of speed -- web surfers have a short attention span
according to the research and studies -- resize the image in your graphics
program. Otherwise, you are making the viewer's browser read the image and
then adjust the image to fit the allowed space. This will slow the download
speed on the viewer's end.

BTW -- I have yet to see any questions on this list that are *silly* --
this is the basics list and I have always received absolutely excellent
advice, tips, techniques and resources from everyone here. Never have I
been told my question is silly (even if sometimes, I think they're just
being polite)

HTH,
~Tamara