Re: Downloading Files

by "Smokin' Dave" <smokindave(at)smokindave.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:14:30 -0500
 To:  "Edward & Charla Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>,
"HWG Basic List" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:17 PM 6/20/00 -0500, Edward & Charla Springer wrote:
>Grettings,
>
> From time to time, I download files from various web sites. Usually updates
>to drivers, etc... When I do, I click on the download button, or some
>similar method to indicate that I want to begin downloading the file(s).
>When I do, I get a nice window that asks if I want to save to disk or open
>the file, when I click on save to disk I get another nice window that allows
>me to select a destination and to begin the download. It also tells me the
>progress and alerts me when done (I am guessing that these are browser
>features?). How do you do that? Is it simply making the downloadable file a
>link and the browser takes over, or is there some mystical scripting
>involved?
>
>Thanks in advance,

Ed, what you want to do is as easy as creating a link pointing to the
location of the file on your server. For example, <a
href="software/widget.exe">Click here to download the new widget!<a> If you
want to have the user UPload files, it's done with CGI.