Re: search engine refinement

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:22:54 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Each Search engine has its own way of working, and the designers of these
engines take ill any attempts to impress or trick them.
Many good engines ignore your meta tags in favor of examining your text.
Many of those that do this will also blackball you for attempting to use
hidden text (ie. in the same color as the background).

IMO those as do search the text are the better engines. They will index
more things than you could ever put in a meta-tag. You need not try for
good position with engines such as these. For example, goto
http://www.alltheweb.com and enter my name (Elias Thienpont), and do a
search on the exact phrase... and you will come up with 10 documents with
my name on them. I can assure you that my name is not in the meta tags of
any of them, and since my name is uncommon enough, all of the pages you
find will be relevant. (Sorry Bill Smith, you are out of luck on this one.)

At 03:40 PM 9/18/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'm wondering if there is a way to get a search engine to just concentrate
>on the meta tag keywords? The one I'm using is picking up every word on
>every page.
>
>My web host provides the following search engine cgi:
>
>#                       SEARCH_ENGINE.CGI
>#
># This script was written by Gunther Birznieks
># Date Created: 4-18-96
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lori

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB