Re: Question for db gurus (was RE: SSI question)

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:03:07 -0500
 To:  "Ed Peddycoart" <epeddycoart(at)cg2.com>,
"HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:50 AM 6/4/2001 -0700, Ed Peddycoart wrote:
>Is using MySQL, which I have available on my web host, a good choice for
>this?
>Can I use PHP to pull the information from the db.?
>Any other suggestions on how to do this?
>Pointers to websites for more information?

There are several web sites that have great information
(http://webmasterbase.com/, http://zend.com/
  http://devshed.com/,
and, of course, http://php.net/).

For an initial introduction, try WebMonkey -- anything in backend (server
side, etc.,-- I noticed they re-designed).

For a super-quick, gee-whiz script that requires very,very little
customization, try http://evilwalrus.com/ and then search for the linkster
script. This little script will ask for a little info (server name, connect
info, db -- ask your host for your specific set-up) and then it will set up
your tables and you are in business. If you want to get to know php/mysql,
you can also do a little customization. I printed out the scripts and I've
learned just enough php to go -- Oh!, o.k., that's how they do it.

A slightly customized Linkster script in action is at:
http://mhoai.org/Links/Links.html (and I don't want to talk about the one I
built myself as a PHP newbie -- ugh!)