Re: Re; How to remove the underline on links

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:01:49 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>, "catwoman" <catwoman(at)enter.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Clarification - Hover works only with IE.

Observation - Be careful when deciding to remove underlining with
links.  While many consider underling to be visually unattractive and thus
intrude upon the designer's possible intent for a page (or an entire site),
most users rely on the visual underline clues to tell them that a link
exists.   The decision to remove underlines means the designer is going
against accepted norms for user interaction of a web site, and what users
have come to expect.

In addition, one must be careful when removing underline links in that the
removal does not constitute a potential violation of Section 508 laws (US
laws) with respect to accessibility.  If you are unaware of Section 508 it
behooves you to learn rather quickly.