Re: tables/css/screen readers

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:10:20 -0700
 To:  "HWG Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Bert Doorn" <bert(at)betterwebdesign.com.au>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:20 2001-10-16 +0800, Bert Doorn wrote:
>G'day
>
> > Won't it be a wonderful day when browser css support reaches the point
>that
> > we have other (realistic) options besides the use of tables for ~any~
> > realistic page layout control ?!?!?!!?
>
>Yeah, but as long as we keep writing pages that "support" IE2 and NN2, there
>will be people who don't see the need to upgrade their browsers. Not that I
>am advocating writing sites that only display in IE/NN6.   But when does a
>browser get so old that we stop supporting it?  Sure, if you are doing a
>site for client who uses an old browser and pays you to make it "look good"
>in that browser, use old standards.  But otherwise?

Simple.  Read your site's logs to determine your target audience (actual as
well as projected).

I gave up with v2 users quite a while ago.  Economics of scale and the law
of diminishing returns proved it.  Actually, come to think of it, I gave up
actively on v3 users quite a while ago, too.  Same reasons as above.