Re: CD - Creation - Websites

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:13:59 -0800
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If the web-site-on-a-CD contains programming which requires server
interactions and the computer using that CD is not set up as a server to
read the CD *exactly* the way the web site requires it, you have your own
answer to your own question.

However, if the web-site-on-a-CD contains *no* server interactions and
*all* links are relative and not absolute, it should work on any compatible
computer using any browser.

If you have to send this CD to different people on a reoccurring basis
(which begs the question - why don't they use the Internet like everyone
else????)  why not just use Adobe Acrobat (full version) and create a PDF
copy of the web site, put it on the CD and send *that* to them?

It seems to me you are coming up against the law of diminishing returns,
coupled with individuals who should have Internet access in order to
accomplish the task.  At some point either they will have to join the rest
of the wired world, or they will lose out.

Kukla