Re: spelling and grammer, grammar, gramming :)

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:12:06 EDT
 To:  shelleyw(at)home.com,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello:

Shelley wrote:

> If you enclose a complete sentence in
>  between brackets - do you put the period before the bracket or
>  after?
>  And.....I was taught, way back when, when writing letters to
>  spell out 1 to 10 as one to ten but after that you use the number
>  instead of the word - I've always wondered if my old boss was
>  right on that one

In an attempt to redeem myself, I went to Editor Wife with your questions.
Her answers:

If the sentence is complete within brackets,it should have a period.  If it
is part of a larger sentence, then the period goes after.  As a Republican,
she's hedging her bets  and would prefer to see an example before
committing...  :-)

As for your boss, he was "generally right."

Now - did I put the period in the right spot in the above sentence.....? :-)

- Jeff Kopito