Re: Netscape vs. IE

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:01:28 EDT
 To:  bmoney(at)brainiac.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Barbara & Friends:

You wrote:

> I wonder if you have any insight as to why this happens. I had a table
>  in a page that I wanted to be centered so I used <.table
>  align="center">. Worked fine in IE, but Netscape 3 aligned it left. then
>  I put in <.center>..<./center> tags and it worked fine. My HTML
>  Programmer's Reference said the align attribute was good in older
>  versions of NN, but, it didn't work.

I don't believe that <.table align="center"> is fully supported.  Best to
keep your center tags outside the table, i.e.  <.center>  (TABLE)  <./center>

You wrote:

>  Some of you have said to test sites in IE because it is more
>  "forgiving". But isn't that all the more reason to test in NN since if
>  it works there, it should work anywhere? (Sounds like a commercial
>  jingle...grin)

Not necessarily true given the differences in browser versions as well as
platforms....not to mention the use of proprietary tags and mucky code
generated by WYSIWYG programs.

Don't get lazy - if you want credibility you need to test your pages on both
browsers in both platforms.  :-)

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz.......  :-)

- Jeff K.