Re: billions across the world in English

by Freda Lockert <freda(at)rlockert.easynet.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:53:27 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I've run across something: does a billion in US English mean the same
>thing as billion elsewhere.
>
>US billion:
>
>1,000,000,000

UK billion also = 1,000,000,000.

It didn't used to be so, we used to say 1,000,000,000,000 = 1 billion
(1 followed by 9 zeros was called 1 milliard). We changed years ago,
I think in the early 1980s,  because most people took for granted our
billion was the same as the US (and French) number and it was
confusing.

Freda
--
'Never give up on what you know in your heart to be right. The world
needs you and your commitment, desperately'  - John Denver.