Re: IE and automatic loadinbg of M$Office files

by Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:38:58 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Morn Gang:
>

>[Freda Lockert wrote months ago:]
>>  I clicked on a link to a job ad and the college site downloaded a
>>  Word file to the PC, launched Word and opened the file automatically,
>>  all with no warning to me, and no mention anywhere on the site that
>>  it does that or even that the link is to a .doc file. I expected to
>>  see an HTML page,
>
>Well, agreed, that is not as we say in DE the "fine English manner". I
>recently found out Microsoft provides a patch for at least Office97. I
>have not looked for Office2k, but I think there will be also a patch
>availible. I read in my country's leading computing magazine that a
>patch for IE fixing this problem, but this is _definitiv_ too long ago,
>therefore I know it not for sure.
>
>HTH,
>
>Jakob D=F6lling

Jakob

Thank you. On suggestions from kind souls on this list I rechecked
the settings in all the MS Preferences Panels (this is on a Mac) but
there's no setting  to stop this happening in this situation. I did
speak to the webmaster but she didn't see the need to put a note on
the site that these files were .doc files. A lawyer friend said she
should be concerned, she is exposing the College to risk, probably
slight, but easily avoidable.

Regards.

=46reda
--
A man who would letterspace lower case would also steal sheep - Frederic Gou=
dy