Re: Spelling and Grammar skills

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:41:42 EDT
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Good Evening Friends:

Lois wrote:

> I just want to add that I was a fourth grade teacher. Therefore I know
>  there are many public elementary school teachers who are dedicated to
>  improving spoken and written English.  Being retired (much more exposure to
>  the vernacular) I have had to accept the fact that our work is far from
>  finished!!

Lois - I certainly appreciate your patience and sense of humor as well.
Can't say my 4th grade teacher had much of both when it came to educating
this Brooklyn kid!

But you do bring up a point -that the love of language, and writing, and the
skills for putting words together as an act of creation and design have gone
the way of penny bubble gum.  It does start early, beginning with the voice
of our parents reading those bedtime stories us.

Wordsmithing, I fear, has become nothing more than something that fills the
blank space around the buying message.  Creating wealth has become an end in
itself.  Writing is not as exciting as selling net stocks, certainly!

Just a couple of thoughts...

- Jeff Kopito