Re: Search Engine Placement

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:15:41 EST
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ted:

You wrote:

> I see your point but I can't help but find it distressing. If you are a
>  small business or even just a mom or pop with an item or two to sell, the
>  idea of putting out $199 to each of the top ten search engines, (or so)
>  simply means that you go unlisted. Besides--it's such a "chicken" charge.
>  Kind of like when some banks tried to charge a fee to speak to a teller.

Yes - it is distressing considering the nature/philosophy of the net which -
I believe - was a free expression of ideas and information passageway.  But
the nature of the 'Net changed when it became coopted as a device to market
products - and in a way we added to that change in focus when we began
designing for the web and finding effective ways to help our clients.

Rather than liken it to charging a fee for a teller, I see it more as what
happened to the downtowns when challenged by the malls and big box retailers.
The mom-and-pops took a serious hit, many faded, and many downtowns suffered
and died as a result.  This had grave effects on the community at large.

BUT - rather than compete on price, smaller retailers had to reevaluate how
they valued their services and identify what exactly they provided to their
customers.  And exactly who their customers were.  And how exactly to reach
them.

They couldn't compete on price and shouldn't have tried.  And I don't think
that we should see this as being priced out of the search engine arena but
rather forcing us and our clients to reevaluate how we market ourselves and
our service.  There are many lessons out there in defining and targeting
audiences - and some possible solutions.

>  Just what is so precious about "Free" Enterprise that they can soak the
>  little guy two grand a year and yet let hate groups, little leagues, camera
>  clubs and churches, not to mention granny's flower page, get listed for
>  free.

That could change, too. But would you rather that a non-profit enterprise be
charged a rate similar to a company that is selling product for a profitable
price?

You wrote:

>  As web authors, this subject is one that will impact our very livelihood
far
>  more than petty problems with IE and Netscape. Only a very few of us have
>  well healed clients that can absorb another two or three grand a year
>  without some serious soul searching as to whether they really need that web
>  site we are trying to sell them.

Truth is, not everyone *needs* a web site - it's not a magic bullet to
profitability.  A web site should be part of a total marketing plan.  That
also might change in the future - but in this marketplace, that is going to
be a cost of business as much as rent for physical space - and right now it's
still cheaper.

And let's consider that being listed high in the search engines does not
necessarily guarantee greater sales or greater profits.

>  At two hundred smackers each, people are quickly going to become rather
>  picky as to who they list with. I can see Search Engines dropping like
>  flies.

Good - that's how it works.  And a little bit of pressure on the search
engines will hopefully keep these costs down.

Never let'em see ya sweat!  :-)

- Jeff K.