Re: Scanner Interfaces...

by Mike Schienle <mgs(at)ivsoftware.com>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:15:59 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:25 PM -0400 4/21/00, Todd Eddy wrote:
>Heres the jyst of it:

>USB:
>     ...  It also works in the new iMac's, not sure on other versions of
>Mac's.

Any new Mac in the last year or so now has USB built in. True for
iMacs, G3 Macs, G4 Macs, PowerBooks and iBooks. Previous Macs can
accept a PCI card for USB compatibility.

>SCSI:
>     SCSI is the USB for everyone.  I am not sure, speedwise, which is better.

There are different flavors of SCSI available, from 5 MB/sec up to
160 MB/sec. USB is 12 Mb/sec (1.5 MB/sec).

>  It
>is compatible with all the Windows OS's (not sure on win3.1), and I think most
>other OS's like Linux and BeOS.  Unsure on Macs.

Virtually all Macs between 1986 and 1998 had SCSI on board. Only the
recent systems delivered since the advent of the iMac have not had
SCSI on the motherboard. You can either order it as part of
build-to-order for G4 Macs, or add it on via PCI card. I believe
there are USB to SCSI converters (slow) and FireWire (IEEE-1394) to
SCSI converters available.
--

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs(at)ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing