Re: MetaSearch engines

by "Srinivasan Ramakrishnan" <srinivar(at)md3.vsnl.net.in>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:54:39 +0530
 To:  <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>,
"Ivan Hoffman" <ivan(at)ivanhoffman.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> I am tempted to ask the reason one would post such an enormously complex
> legal question to this list?

Was that an enormously complex legal question? I didn't realize. Anyway it
happens that I have studied law, and I tend to consider these things more
seriously than others (perhaps). Now the question ofcourse is in general
interest because we use such services all the time.

I'm not expecting any "legal opinions", for that I woul approach an
attorney. I was merely asking people if they knew something about this
issue.

> >a) Since the data is anyway in public domain, what form of ownership do
the
> >search engines exercise on their results?
>
> What gives you reason to believe that "the data is anyway in public
> domain?"  Data in and of itself may not be protectable as data (phone
> listings for example) but formatted data may be protected.

I wasn't talking from a legal standpoint but from a more moral point of
view. I agree that it is formatted data and protectable by law. And that is
why I wanted to know if meta search engines were paying for this service.

Plus I feel the sites that transfer queries to actual search engines perform
a sort of deep linking, and I wondered how that would be treated.

-Srini