Re: For your perusal

by "Donna Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:06:56 +0100
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rob

First, re the Bobby reference to splitting up links with more than
whitespace - that's because some older text and speech browsers are
unable to differentiate between a series of consecutive links if they
are not separated by one or more unlinked characters, and not just by
spaces or line breaks.  These older browsers see these consecutive links
as a single link, making it impossible for the user to follow anything
other than the first link in the series.  The problem with the links you
refer to below is that the square brackets have been included as part of
each link, rather than being unlinked, which would neatly separate the
links and ensure that they work in all browsers.  This is a legacy issue
which is gradually disappearing as people upgrade their software.

Most of what programs like Bobby output *is* common sense - one just
needs to know the background issues which the recommendations relate to,
and can then make an informed decision as to whether or not to follow
any particular recommendation.

There's a problem if the user needs to increase the font size using
their browser settings - the line of links at the bottom of the title
graphics expands onto two rows of text, with some of the link text
overlaying the picture of the server, with resulting poor contrast
between the link text and the background.  And if they are using IE and
have set the browser additionally to ignore the font sizes in the page,
the piece of headline text in bold a few lines down from the start of
the main content gets squashed together so that the lines of text
overlap, making it hard to read (possible use of absolute units in
line-height property? - I took a quick look at the page last night, but
can't get into it at the moment to check).

The ALT text on some of the images gives very little information
compared to what is available visually - e.g. price information on the
hosting packages, and the list of credit cards accepted - those are
important bits of information which blind users are not being given.
Some partially sighted users may have problems reading the price
information on these graphics too, since the text and background colours
used on the hosting packages graphics is low contrast.

The "hidden" links which you've included on the page are useful for
those using screen reader software, but they can be confusing for
sighted users who use the keyboard - the visible "focus" vanishes as you
TAB through the page.  You might consider putting the "Page Content"
link first, so that those using text, speech or braille output can jump
past all the navigation and get straight to the content of the page.

HTH!

Regards,
Donna