Re: domain admin (was Unscrupulous Webmasters)

by "Michael Schultz" <mike(at)virtualtech.com>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:09:23 -0600
 To:  <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Marty Landman" <marty(at)face2interface.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi all...

Out of lurk mode to send one of my 12 posts a year, lol...

We have had the same problems with moving sites registered by other
"Webmasters" (never liked that term, sounds rather pompous if you ask me but
I am entitled to my opinion).  The fax solution suggested by Steve Clark
(fax on client's company letterhead) has worked for us in every case.

On the registration subject... we too are a reseller for a major hosting
provider in addition to the design end of things.  This is how I register
domain names:

Owner - client's company name/address
Admin Contact - client rep (can be a title instead of a person)
Tech Contact - us
Billing Contact - client rep again

This way, the client has control down the road if they want to move the site
etc.  but since we are listed as the tech contact we (1) can make any
changes the client requests (saving the client a lot of headaches) and (2)
are kept informed if the client chooses to make a change.

The client paid for the domain name.... it does belong to the client.  Read
the NetSol, Register.com, etc. rules and regs to get the legal poop.

Michael Schultz (not a Webmaster, just an administrator) lol
Vice President of Operations
Virtualtech Web Site Design and Promotion http://www.virtualtech.com
(800) 474-7001
"We Put The Pieces Together"