Re: Transfer Request Method

by "Michael Schultz" <mike(at)virtualtech.com>

 Date:  Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:23:53 -0600
 To:  "hwg-business" <hwg-business(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nathan (how are things up in Yooperland?) ;-)  Kinda cold down here in
Cheeseland...

I assume what you are asking about is a change in the DNS for the domain
name.  In other words, the site is currently hosted with BigHostingCompany,
and you want to change the hosting to MuchBetterHosting, the company you
resell for.

The process for doing so depends on the domain name registrar used to
register the name.  Most of the "big ones" (Verisign/Network Solutions,
Register.com, GoDaddy, etc.) have an online form that you can fill out to
request changes to the registration.  I saw that someone else recommended
listing yourself as the technical contact - I would agree as it allows you
to make such changes much more easily.  If the customer doesn't know who the
name is registered with (likely, if they registered it themselves), a quick
way to find out is to go to http://betterwhois.com and search for the name.
Look to see who is listed as the current registrar (generally in parentheses
at the beginning of the listing).  Then, go to that site and look for
something like "manage my account" or "modify my registration" or something
like that.  You will probably need a username/password, which hopefully your
customer will have.  If not, there are ways to retrieve it, as well as ways
around the automated transfer process.  Let me know if you have any
questions once you get there, as I have had to deal with hundreds of these
transfers and have some "tricks" for different registrars.

Thanks!

Michael Schultz
Vice President of Operations
Virtualtech Web Site Design and Promotion, Inc.
Appleton, WI
http://www.virtualtech.com
"We Put The Pieces Together"