Re: Verio & Internet Keywords

by Ted Resnick <tedres(at)dnai.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:14:08 -0700
 To:  ml(at)digitaldaze.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:46 PM 6/27/00 -0600, Mailing List Account wrote:

>If this is the case, it sounds like RealNames is getting desperate for
>business.  Originally they would only let you have keywords that matched a
>registered trademark you owned.  Now it appears you can use anything you
>want, whether you have a trademark or not...

That is not my understanding of it. I have had some keywords since 1998 and
they were not trademarks. There was an issue last year about them awarding
generic terms (ie mp3's to MP3.com) but I believe they have since backed
away from that policy. At the moment, you can't register "weight loss" but
you can register "CompanyName Weight Loss"

This really has an impact on AltaVista. See
http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=weight+loss
and
http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?rnsp=0&realname=weight+loss+

Also, I found an interesting page that details how certain RealName
partners display keywords - see
http://www.advsyseng.com/promotion/internet-keywords/search-engines/

Regards,

Ted