Tree Care Company on-line?

by Mumbles <voices(at)cyberinkdesign.com>

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:44:24 -0600
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The first place I looked for a tree company when I needed one was on the
net.  Im a web designer, where else would I look.  I did the same thing
when I needed a roofer.  Since I only wanted local companies I found this
information very hard to find and I am more experienced at searching than
the average user.  I think tree companies and contractors fall into the
same catagory.  People look in the phone book because that is the only
place to look. What can you tell about a company by a phone book ad?  Not
much.  The internet is the perfect place for companies like this because
they have enough room to give you real information about their company so
that you can make some kind of intelligent decision about who to hire.
Putting up tree care information will also make the site useful.  I have
talked to contractors that were very dissapointed in the response to their
web sites. The reason was someone one took their money, built them a site
and did nothing to promote it or built them a one page site that was just
like a phone book ad. People want real information, not names and
addresses.  My solution to that problem was to build texastoolbox.com, a
local contractor directory. The site has been up only a few months and is
doing quite well.  The Internet is young and the tree company should not
expect an immediate or overwhelming response to a web site.  Web sites are
like trees, they need time to grow.  If the site has useful information
people will use it over and over again. When the time comes to actually
hire someone, who will they think of first? There are not many tree
companies on the net,  getting in first is always an advantage. Tell them
to go for it!
Lu Prescott